15 October 2011

Going Greek

Well, sort of.  I haven't joined a sorority, but I did have a chance to my inner Greek out recently (and, yes, I know "recently" here means about a month ago).  Columbia is pretty small for the capital of the great state of South Carolina, but that doesn't mean it's boring.  In fact, I've been so busy since I came back here that I haven't had time to keep up with my blog the way I'd like to.  Most of that has to do with the enormous quantity of work I have this semester, but some of it is fun stuff.

But I digress.  Sarah and Mom came to visit me and hang out at the Greek Festival one Saturday.  For the friends in Hong Kong, I'll explain in a little more detail.  As you know, the USA is a nation of immigrants and so Americans come from all over the world.  Even though we are all Americans, first and foremost, we like to celebrate our native cultures and heritage.  Think of it in the same context as 华侨.  Now, my family probably doesn't have a single drop of Greek blood between us, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy the festival.  One of the great things about living in a country of immigrants is having the opportunity to enjoy cultures from all over the world.


Sarah and Mom looking cute.  Unfortunately, we weren't able to go listen to "Aesop."  I don't think he would have been the real one anyway.


Fun items in the Greek market!  Perfume bottles:


Nesting dolls (there's a smaller doll inside the doll you see and an even smaller doll inside that one!):


Vases:


Naturally, the real reason for coming was to enjoy some fantastic Greek food.  Just think goat cheese, spinach, olives, lamb, and pita bread.


Delicious, delicious lunch:


Sarah trying a Greek beer:


And cracking up:



We watched some folk dances in traditional costumes with musical accompaniment:


All in all, it was something fun and different to do.  A little taste of Greece in the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment